fall has begun inching its way into the mid-south, lagging a few weeks behind my former homes in kansas and massachusetts. last night we were able to keep the a/c off and still sleep cozily in a 68-degree house (we both love it cold to sleep, it makes your comforter that much better).
this season – if you can call it a season down here – always means certain things to me:
– chai tea lattes from starbucks…ok any season means those to me.
– apple cider candles at home.
– a change in sunlight and a bluer sky.
– scarves with long-sleeved tees.
– riding boots worn to festivals held on soggy grounds.
– family and friend gatherings being warm and full of food.
– a certain smell in the air that always and forever instantly transports me to the grounds of wellesley – i think it’s a combination of fallen, musty leaves, fall breeze, and paper. i’m instantly walking along sev green toward my dorm:
luckily i’ll be back at the school in a couple of weeks (if only for the weekend), so i’ll get my fix then. as for the rest of it, i’ve got plans! welcome to memphis, fall, we’ve missed you!