so remember in that post i wrote oh, i don’t know, almost a year ago me telling you cryptically that i was punching a quadrillion circles for a wedding project? and i was all teasing and like whoooo wait til you see this?! and then never showed it to you, because i’m awesome like that?
let’s go ahead and rectify that situation.
this project was absolutely, without a doubt, the most time-intensive and potentially dumb undertaking i…undertook for the wedding. it all started when i walked by a window of anthropologie, that perma-creative, uber-put together store that we all love.
i saw something handmade, something similar to this:
and i thought dang, man, i could totally make that! how hard could that be? (answer: harder than wistfully dreamt.) when the question came up of what on earth i would do with such a hanging, i realized that our ceremony space, however beautifully lit and wood floored and white walled it was, had nothing in it to designate an “altar” area since it was not so much a church as it was a ballroom. so my idea of an altar-defining “wall waterfall” came into being.
after some cell phone snaps of the anthro arrangement, i set out to buy supplies: yards and yards of fishing wire and card stock. it was more difficult than i thought to find bulk yellow card stock, so instead of going the colored paper route i went all-white. i figured in the dimmed lighting against a white wall, it would look nice and shimmery, adding dimension to an otherwise blank space.
as i mentioned previously, i punched the circles using a standard scrapbooking punch. i probably punched a total of approximately 5,000 – 8,000 circles (i lost count), storing them in gallon ziplocks as i went.
the next step was assisted by my loving fiance, who donned latex gloves (for better needle-gripping skillz) and sat in the corner of our couch threading hundreds of circles onto pre-measured lengths of fishing wire (9’4″, to be exact) while watching “the walking dead”. he used a standard sewing needle and would thread “a bunch” (technical measurement, here) on to a thread and then pass me the line.
from there i tied each line onto a regular old 3′ dowel from Michael’s, positioned one circle at the top of the line, and added a dot of hot glue to the thread/circle on the bottom of each circle. i went down the line, spacing the circles each about 1.5″ apart. dot dot dot, glue web threads everywhere, new stick of glue, dot dot dot, dot dot dot, that was how my nights went for quite a while. i watched a lot of “gossip girl” during the work.
we decided to make the hanging 9′ x 9′, and with each 3′ dowel requiring 17 strings of circles, you can imagine the time involved. finally, all the threads were hung by the guest windows with care, and pete and i set to untangling fishing wire. if you ever wonder if you are going blind, try untangling fishing wire and you will know for sure, “hey, self, i am TOTALLY BLIND.” once each line was separated, pete created an elaborate system of paper tubes, one per strand, to house each strand and prevent it from re-tangling with its brethren en route to the wedding venue.
a quick spray paint of the dowels, some drilling work, and about 1.5 hours of re-hanging later, it was installed at the venue:
of course, i had to dramatically and wistfully pose with my hours and hours of work, as it was up for one evening only and then into the trash it went. it turned out beautifully and i loved how it looked behind our minister – i can’t wait to see the professional pictures of it (picture above via instagram via our reader, lauren!)! here are some more uses of it:
creepy wellesley grouping…
beautiful new facebook profile pictures…
attempts to hide…
backdrops for cousin portraits…
and just genuine awesomeness.
i kind of wanted to bring it home for decoration in the house somewhere (after probably 40 hours of work, you would, too!), but it was deemed just too too much to repackage it, re-transport it, and re-hang it. wah wahhhhhhh. oh well, now i can say i’ve done it once at least, so take that, anthropologie!